Did you know that dentists, orthodontists, and other specialists work together regularly to treat certain complex conditions? We call those multidisciplinary cases, and today, we want to tell you more about them, as well as how orthodontics helps optimize smile makeovers. If all of this sounds a bit confusing, don’t worry—our expert team at Texas Family Orthodontics is here to break it down!
The list of possible situations that require multidisciplinary treatment is quite exhaustive! But here are a few examples that will give you a better idea of what warrants this type of treatment plan and the specialists we might collaborate with as orthodontists:
- Orthodontics + Oral Surgery: Severe jaw issues (malocclusions) might mean bringing an oral surgeon into the picture for optimal results.
- Orthodontics + Pediatric Dentistry: Early interventions for children with bite problems or skeletal irregularities can be helped most effectively with coordinated treatment. At Texas Family Orthodontics, we treat patients of all ages, so this could be a scenario we encounter.
- Orthodontics + Cosmetic Dentistry: When patients seek a comprehensive treatment plan for both alignment and aesthetic issues with their teeth, we often work with cosmetic specialists to achieve optimal results.
- Orthodontics + Restorative Dentistry: Orthodontic treatment is often the first step for restorative procedures.
What Is A Smile Makeover?
They are pretty much what they sound like! A smile makeover refers to a major transformation of a person’s teeth. It usually means taking a multidisciplinary approach. Every person’s treatment plan will be different and customized, but there are a lot of benefits to a smile makeover:
- Boosted confidence is often one of the main goals of this course of treatment. It can help address long-standing insecurities in adolescent and adult patients, allowing you to feel more confident in social and professional settings.
- A smile makeover can help with overall oral health. When you have a straighter smile, for instance, it can be easier to clean and care for your teeth individually and as a whole. For some of the most dramatic transformations, it gives patients a second chance at taking better care of their teeth (though hopefully, you won’t need one!).
- And again, this allows multiple issues to be addressed at once. You might combine procedures like alignment, teeth whitening, and veneers. We’ll go over common options later.
The Role of Your Orthodontist
So, let’s say you’ve chosen to pursue a smile makeover. Here are some of the ways Dr. Vo and our team help in the case of a smile makeover.
- Alignment and Straightening: Traditionally, this is why people come to see offices like ours (though we go way beyond just straightening teeth). This can provide the foundation for a more symmetrical smile. We offer a wide variety of alignment treatments:
- Invisalign and Invisalign Teen
- InBrace Hidden Braces
- Clear/Ceramic Braces
- Traditional Metal Braces
- Propel Accelerated Treatment
- Space Management: For veneers and implants, it’s important to rectify issues like overcrowding or gaps between teeth.
- Bite Correction: Overbites, underbites, and crossbites are problems we address every single day! Having a harmonious, even bite can contribute to both improved functionality and aesthetics.
- Preparation for Other Procedures: Orthodontic work can help to ensure everything is in place for restorative treatments, such as crowns, bridges, and implants.
Putting It All Together
Now that we’ve covered a lot of what this type of treatment entails let’s go over an example of a smile makeover. Of course, steps will vary according to what an individual needs, but this is a general outline of the options you might encounter:
- Initial Consultation and Plan: You’ll meet with a general or cosmetic dentist first, in a lot of cases, to discuss your goals and concerns. After a thorough examination, other specialists (like us!) can begin to be conferred with as part of your personalized treatment plan. This will include factors like duration of treatment, types of procedures, and cost.
- Gum Contouring: This is a treatment we offer in our office. It can reshape the gumline to improve the appearance and balance of your smile.
- Veneers: These come in a variety of materials, but most commonly will be porcelain. They are shells that are applied over natural teeth to correct cracks, chips, or discoloration.
- Orthodontic Treatment: You will work with us and your dentist to determine if and when our intervention is best for the duration of your makeover.
- Crowns, Bridges, and Implants: These can all be used to restore or enhance missing or damaged teeth.
- Final Touches: Once all of your chosen procedures are complete, aesthetics will be addressed on a finer level to ensure that the size, shape, and color of your smile is the best complement to your facial features and structures. You’ll also have follow-up appointments for healing and any necessary adjustments.
A Team Effort
So, there you have it! We know it might seem like a lot of ground covered, but the main thing to remember is that our team is committed to helping you achieve your dream smile. That might mean being one point of contact in a broader treatment or being your one-stop shop for orthodontic and cosmetic options! Either way, you can be confident that you’ll receive spectacular service. For a free consultation, contact us at our San Antonio (210-256-9767) or Windcrest (210-646-9779) offices!